Please be advised that some of the Scott County Take it to the Box sites are temporarily closed due to Covid. Please contact your local police departments or the Scott Sheriff’s Office to determine if they are open. If you are unable to use the receptacle at this time, please save your old medications in a safe place until we reopen.
What is Take It To The Box?
Take It To The Box is a program for Scott County residents to dispose of unneeded prescription and over-the-counter medications, pet medications, illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia, ANONYMOUSLY, at NO CHARGE, courtesy of a partnership with Scott County Drug Prevention Task Force and ChooseNotToUse. Scott County is serious about preventing medication misuse/abuse and we encourage citizens to dispose of unneeded medications in an environmentally safe way.
The program is now run and maintained by Scott County Public Health in order to best serve Scott County citizens and surrounding communities.
This is an important program for our community and environment. Thank you for your participation!
The Scott County Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) now collects sharps from households.
For safety, all sharps need to be contained in a puncture-resistant container designed for “sharps” waste. These containers can be often be purchased at your local drug store or online.
The HHW does not provide the individual containers for use.
The HHW is open Wednesday 12-6pm, Thursday 12-4pm, and Saturday 8-12pm. You may also call the 24-Hour Help Desk at 952-496-8787.
It is located at 588 Country Trail E, Jordan MN 55352.
In the alternative, to dispose of used syringes, please put them in an empty coffee can or detergent bottle, label it “Used Syringes”, tape the cover or cap on the container securely, and put in your garbage bin.
- Leave medication in the original container.
- Remove your name and personal information.
- Keep the name of the medication on the original container.
- Place liquids in a padded envelope (provided near drop box).
- Drop medication into the disposal box.
- No needles/sharps/syringes are accepted at any location
Where can I take Epi Pens* or Vaping Devices?
– Epi Pens with medication in them go to Take It To the Box
– Epi Pens that have been used and are empty can go to HHW
* All Epi Pens must be in an approved sharps container. No plastic jugs or laundry soap containers allowed.
– Vape Devices with nicotine pods in them go to Take It To the Box
– Vape Devices with battery attached or empty cartridges can go to HHW.
24 Hour Help Line: 952-496-8787
Where are the disposal boxes located?
The following Take It To The Box medication disposal boxes are available seven days a week, 24 hours a day:
Scott County Sheriff’s Office – Main Lobby
301 Fuller Street corner of 4th and Fuller.
Front vestibule of the Savage Police Department
6000 McColl Drive.
Front vestibule of the PL Police Department – Front vestibule
4649 Dakota Street SE
Vestibule of City Hall/Police Department on south side 118 Central Avenue North
The new Police Department, 705 Syndicate Street, 24 hours
The following locations are available Monday – Friday:
Main Entrance of the Police Department, 420 East Main Street
from 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Elko New Market
Elko New Market City Hall
601 Main Street,
Elko, New Market, MN 55054
from 8:00 to 4:30